Thursday, May 10, 2012

Drupa 2012, the Inkjet Drupa...again? My exit interview


This is David Swang's "wrap-up" of his visit to drupa in Germany -  

Here’s the beginning of his article:

Commentary & Analysis
Drupa 2012, the Inkjet Drupa…again? My exit interview
By David Zwang
Published: May 9, 2012
Ok, before I start to get panic emails… no I have not been sacked, have no plans to retire (unlike Andy Tribute), and I will continue to write much more detail on the current and future state of production inkjet (and liquid toner), so stay tuned. However, after 8 long days of pounding the messe pavement, seeing lots of products and solutions and lots of friends, it is time to leave drupa. So I wanted to share some observations.
First of all, there is a healthy level of excitement here that the industry is recovering from its deep funk, both economically and spiritually. And while I have spent most of my time looking at production inkjet and other digital print technologies, surprisingly, some of the more packed booths were the offset press manufacturers. Walking, or more like trying to walk through Heidelberg, manroland, Komori, KBA, etc., was a challenge. I don’t know if people were buying, but they sure were packed in. And unlike Xerox, they didn’t have a fabulous Cirque do Soleil show going on, so it had to be for the equipment shown.
One of the more interesting things surrounding this drupa is that the ‘digital factory’, or the extension of digital print from creation and order initiation through finishing is really starting to take shape.

Here’s a link to the complete article:


No comments:

Post a Comment