Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"Transitioning" Management

One of the funniest comments I’ve ever heard anyone make about a transition in management!

Okay, let me admit that what’s funny to me is not funny to most, but I think that’s simply because I have a very weird sense of humor. (Remember, my ATF comedian is Lewis Black; that should tell you something about my sense of humor.)

Well, I want to share this one with you, but I first have to put it in perspective, meaning, give you some details.

Background …..


A few years ago, a company, with sales of around $23 million, was acquired by another company. Prior to its sale, this company had been one of the fastest growing, more profitable companies in its industry. Prior to its sale, this company had a very deep, very experienced management team. Even after its sale, virtually all of those management team members stayed on to operate the company for the acquirer.

But, as time went on, senior management of the acquirer decided to replace the acquired company’s soon-to-be-retiring President with another person, an outsider from one of the acquirer’s other business units, an outsider who had experience running a much smaller operation, a $3 - 4 million a year operation. Evidently, it was felt by the acquirer’s senior management that not a single one of the acquired company’s senior management team members was capable of stepping in to replace the departing President.

Business got worse and worse, as did morale. In time, all of the acquired company’s former management team members had left the business; either because they were let go or because they decided they did not want to be there any longer. Business and, especially, morale continued to get worse.

And, here’s the punch line …..

Even before he left the company, one of the acquired company’s senior officers, when talking to the acquired company’s former President (who had already departed the scene), remarked about the President’s replacement (who had been brought in from the outside), “the guy who replaced you was, we’ve heard, successful at running a 3 – 4 million a year operation. Perhaps when he gets our business down to that level, he will do well with our company!!!”


When I read that last sentence, I laughed out loud. I thought that comment was priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment