On December 11, 2011, we advised our blog-visitors that the City of Cambridge, MA had released an RFP (bid) for Reprographics Services.
Here are the results of that bid, as per the “bid tabulation” sheet now up on the City’s web-site:
Bid opening date - Thursday, December 22, 2011
File NO 5667: Reprographic Services
Ridgway LLC., DBA ARC Massachusetts
BFS Business Printing, Inc.
Andrew T. Johnson
There are certainly more than just four reprographics companies active in the Greater Boston Market Area, so, after looking at the brief list of companies who submitted bids, I find myself wondering, “where are the others, why did they choose not to submit bids for this procurement?”
- Makepeace (one of the country’s oldest reprographics companies)
- Service Point (the second largest reprographics company in the world and their U.S. division is based in the Boston area.)
- NRI (although based in NYC, they acquired and operate the reprographics company formerly owned by Ernie Lorandeau, a long-time Boston-area reprographer).
- AIR Graphics (owned by Mike and Kevin Cully, two very knowledgeable, long-term, Boston-area reprographers.
- Ben Franklin Printers (are they still active in the reprographics business?)
The City’s Bid Tabulation shows only “total bids”. My suggestion to those who want to know the “unit prices” that bidders bid for each and every line item. Contact the City’s Purchasing Department, by letter, to request copies of each bid submitted. If you really want to be aware of pricing in your market, you’ve got to be willing to do the homework!
City of Cambridge MA Bid for Reprographics Services
Reprographics Services – File No. 5687
Bids due on Thursday, December 22nd, 2011, 10:00 a.m.
City of Cambridge, Purchasing Department
795 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 303
Cambridge, MA 02139
Purchasing Agent: Cynthia Griffin