Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Central Reprographics Association went “down for the count” in March 2011

Sign of the times.

I don’t remember hearing about this before I went to Las Vegas in late April to attend the IRgA Convention, but, if my memory serves me, I think Bob Roperti (who assumes the Presidency of the IRGA on August 1st) mentioned this to me over lunch one day in mid-May. Anyway, this evening, I received an e-mail from the “final” President of the CRA, Gary Marquardt, about the demise of the CRA, which is what prompted me to write this post. (Gary, thank you for the “heads-up” about the CRA).

The e-mail I received from Gary simply said this:

Hi Joel

As a regular follower of your blog, I thought it appropriate to send you the press release and other documentation attached.

Please give me a call if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Gary Marquardt

President CRA 2011

gmarquardt@e-arc.com

Gary sent me three documents, and, for preservation purposes, I’ve posted them in my Google Docs library. Below each document title, you’ll find a tiny-url link to the documents:


CRA Closure Press Release

http://tinyurl.com/3mhtccf

CRA Dissolution Resolution

http://tinyurl.com/3vn2xh2

History of the Central Reprographics Association

By Cathleen Cushing Duff

And updated by Shirley Zawoyski

http://tinyurl.com/3co5mmm

____________________________________________________

Joel’s comments:

Very sad to see one of the industry’s “regional” associations close down, but, as I said, “sing of the times.” When the CRA was originally founded, many, many years ago, it was not as easy to travel as it is today, and it was a lot more expensive to fly. But, all that said, the CRA was a close-knit group for many years, spanning generations. It was an association where reprographers in that part of the country were able to form close bonds, share information, share successes and failures, much like’s been the case with the IRgA, but, with a smaller (regional) association, networking is a bit more intimate.

Take the time to read the history of the CRA that Cathie Cushing Duff compiled. It’s a trip down nostalgia lane for someone like me. Even though my former companies were not located in the CRA’s region, there were a lot of people in the CRA who I got to know over my many years in the reprographics industry. Solid people. Salt of the earth, so to speak. Every time I see Cathie’s name in print, it brings back very fond memories. Her dad, Jack Cushing, was one terrific, smart, warm and friendly guy. He founded MiniMAX. And, if it were not for MiniMAX, ReproCAD (now ReproMAX) might never have come into existence. The idea for forming ReproCAD came up in the back of the room at a MiniMAX meeting in Chicago, 1983. Many of us owe an everlasting debt of gratitude to Jack Cushing.

So, what’s next?

What’s going to happen to the IRgA?

What’s going to happen to the WRA and the ERA?

1 comment:

  1. This is truly a sad day for our industry regarding the CRA (formerly North Central Repro Assoc.) shutting down. This is a strong signal that reprographics as we have known it is walking (or running) towards deaths door.

    ReplyDelete